American Fork Ambulance
Throughout the years, American Fork Ambulance has proven to provide only the highest level of care to the citizens of the city. Many changes have taken place within the department to accomplish this.
Private providers owned and operated local ambulance service until the volunteer unit sponsored by American Fork City went into service in 1970. Previous service was provided for more than 20 years by Anderson and Sons Mortuary. They announced in late 1962 that they would discontinue the ambulance service on December 31st of that year.
Private Ambulance Service
James Christensen, assisted by contributions by American Fork City, American Fork Hospital and Dr. Guy A. Richards, established a private ambulance service. Dispatch service was through American Fork Hospital, where Christensen was chief X-ray technician. The city provided funds to purchase equipment. Dr. Richards contributed a 1962 Chevrolet station wagon, and the hospital provided equipment and some supplies.
In announcing the new Christensen Ambulance Service, Christensen emphasized that the service would be provided to American Fork and area residents on a 24-hour basis, 7 days a week. The new service went into operation January 1, 1963. The ambulance was stationed at the hospital with all calls for assistance received and dispatched through the hospital switchboard. It was noted that Christensen’s extensive training in emergency medicine made him well qualified to meet the urgent community need for ambulance service.
After 7 years of 24-7 service, Christensen announced that he would discontinue ambulance service as of January 1, 1970. The city utilized the Pleasant Grove and Lehi ambulance service until Councilman Malcolm Beck could organize a city sponsored unit.
American Fork Ambulance Service
January of 1970, Jerry Barratt was named temporary chairman of the newly organized American Fork Ambulance Service. He recruited 22 members who were trained in first aid and rescue techniques by Max Schmidt of Gold Cross Ambulance, Salt Lake City. In reviewing the activities of the volunteers during the 1st year Councilman Beck, Mayor Neal Savage and other members of the city council termed the service as “professional”. As the organization grew, training continued and volunteers came to include both men and women.
in 2009 the ambulance and fire department were combined into one entity under the direction of then newly appointed full-time Chief Kriss Garcia. Emergency medical services are provided by full-time, part-time, and volunteer personnel at the ALS-Paramedic level. This is the highest level of care which can be provided in the field. American Fork Fire / Rescue recognizes its past, and is a very progressive department, ensuring the utilization and delivery of cutting edge services to the citizens of American Fork.
American Fork Fire Department
The American Fork Fire Department has historically been a volunteer organization. It began with 23 concerned citizens and has grown into a modern, effective fire protection unit. After his appointment in 2009, Chief Garcia implemented many new innovative training and safety practices. Dorm rooms were completed to accommodate staffing, new Captains and Lieutenants were promoted, Wildland crews were sent out to help other cities and states; City business inspections, site plan reviews, hydrant inspections and replacements were also conducted to insure community safety. Chief Garcia also organized many educational programs with the city elementary schools and PR events.
In January, 2017, Aaron Brems filled the Fire Chief position at the department. Chief Brems comes with many years of City experience and is a long time member of American Fork Fire Rescue. He looks forward to continuing the proud traditions of Chief Garcia and the American Fork Fire Rescue Department.This proud organization had a modest beginning. The organizing meeting was held in the American Fork City Hall May 1, 1910. The most experienced fire firefighter among them, William Firmage, was elected Fire Chief. The group met 2 days later to name several committees. John Robinson, F.G. Wheeler and Stephen L. Anderson were named to the By-Laws Committee and directed to draft a suitable document for the new department.
The problem of firefighting fires at the turn of the 20th century was an arduous venture. Although some city water lines had been laid and most homes had access to “running” water, the installation of fire hydrants was not complete. More serious was the lack of proper equipment. In 1908 the city had authorized the expenditure of $96.80 for a steel fire cart.
Firemen responding to the strident clanging of the city hall bell had little equipment to battle a fire. There was the wheeled cart which several men pulled to transport their meager equipment to the scene of a fire. They had hose, couplings, ladders, fire axes, a small hand powered pump and buckets. If a hydrant was not available, the pump was laid in an irrigation ditch and the men used their muscles to raise water to the hose connection.
Creating a Foundation
This volunteer organization of 1910 has set the foundation of the current, more modern fire department we have today. The demands of sharp firefighting skills increase as the city grows. As a result of this, the Fire / Rescue Department frequently provides weekly training to its personnel and most the majority of the department has Fire 1, Fire 2, and HazMat, and EMT certifications.
Today the fire and ambulance departments are combined forming 1 “Fire / Rescue” Department. Many personnel are cross-trained for fire and medical emergencies. Training takes place on a weekly basis to keep skills on the cutting edge of fire and rescue strategies.